Monday, February 8, 2010

Football: It's Just A Game


Big Afro, smart and articulate these words describe wide receiver Gene Washington of the San Franciso 49ers. Crafty, tough, smooth and excellent hands describe the skills that made Washington a great football player. Long before he was the Director of Football Operations for the NFL, Washington wore #18 with pride on his way to four consecutive pro bowls from 1969 t0 1972. In 1970 I fell in love with the game of football and the 49ers, largely because of him. When San Franciso lost the NFC Championship game to Dallas two years in a row I was devastated. I became an official Cowboys hater. Growing up in Central Indiana I usually saw a heavy dose of the Chicago Bears and the Cincinnati Bengals. However, my heart was in San Francisco. Whenever they were on television in my area I was glued to the game.
The Jets are going to lay licks on Payton Manning, force the Colts to run the ball and fall to Cinderella. The ghost of Joe Namath or Joe Willie himself is going to show up and give the Jets a repeat victory over Indianapolis. With all of this madness going on I was fully engaged in watching the Colts play the Jets for the AFC Championship. As I settled into the game I noticed my teenage son wasn’t around. He was in his room talking on his cell phone, texting or using the web cam to communicate with friends. I found it odd because he’s a football player who loves the game. I couldn’t imagine why he wouldn’t be totally into his hometown team playing for a chance to reach the Super Bowl. At half time I went to his room and asked why wasn’t he supporting our hometown team by watching the game? He said, “I like the Colts but they’re not my favorite team.” “Well, who is your favorite team?” I replied. To my surprise he said, “Daddy, I don’t have a favorite NFL team. I have a few teams that I like, but no favorite.” Needless to say when the Colts took an “L” at the hands of the Saints in the Super Bowl, I wasn’t surprised when my son showed no emotion during or after the game. No one can remove the 49ers as my favorite team in my heart, but in my mind my hometown Colts had lost a game they were supposed to win. My son’s disposition reminded me that as much as I love football, it's just a game.

1 comment:

  1. Your youngest son was emotionless. Your oldest son, however, was devastated.
    A. Grant

    ReplyDelete