Thursday, March 4, 2010

College Campus Violence: Is This How We Do It?



     The smell of catfish, barbecue ribs and Cajun chicken fill the air.  Marching bands and entertainers from across the Midwest pump to the funky beats of old school Michael Jackson music.  The funk is followed by the latest hip hop grooves from Trey Songz to Gucci Mane.  Neighborhoods all around Lincoln University are filled with people enjoying the activities associated with LU’s 2009 Homecoming Festival and Parade.  The theme for the event is “This Is How We Do It.”  A vibe I really feel good about because it also happened to be the theme song for my wedding party back in the day.  The brothers and sisters up on Fraternity Hill are celebrating as they overlook Dwight Reed Stadium where the Blue Tigers are playing Pittsburg State University.  A week earlier, I was at the Circle City Classic in Indianapolis.  I feel as if I’m experiencing the Classic all over again in Jefferson City, Missouri.  My family feels the love on campus between alumni and current students.  I even videotape the festival and parade for my son who plays on the LU football team.  The players don’t get to see all of the activities that go on around the big game.  I leave LU with reaffirmation that our son is in good hands and has chosen the right college. 
     Late one Tuesday evening in February I receive a call from my son.  He says, “Daddy, I just left the cafeteria and there was a big old fight.”  What happened son?  “I got my food and when I turned around several of my teammates were fighting right there inside the cafeteria at Scruggs University Center.”  He said.  Apparently a group of guys started a fight with a former LU football player and his former teammates went to his aid.  By the time campus police arrived the fight was over.  No one likes a melee in the school cafeteria, but I told my son to be careful and things would get better.  The next night my son calls me again.  This time a Greek event turned violent and it involved some of the same guys from the cafeteria fight.  At this point I’m worried about this situation getting out of hand and escalating into something much worse.  What happened to problem solving?  I must ask our young brothers.  Is this how we do it?
     In March of 2009, strong language was exchanged between students of one dormitory and members of the Morehouse College football team.  According to a report by the Black College Wire, witnesses saw members of the football team beat and stomp one student.  An anonymous witness also claims to have seen a student beaten with a track hurdle.  I ask again.  Is this how we do it?  The following week a Morehouse College administrator was ordered to suspend all outdoor events because of the series of fights that had taken place on campus.    That meant the cancellation of hump Wednesdays, dorm wars and spring fest until further notice.
     Last Friday, I sent a letter expressing my concerns to the President of Lincoln University Dr. Carolyn Mahoney.  I assured her that my family and my son are enjoying our overall experience at a Historically Black College.   Here’s a highlight of my letter. 

Dear Dr. Mahoney,
     “I understand the people causing the violence are a small minority.  I just need some assurance that the bad people will be kicked out of school so they can’t continue to cause problems for the rest of the student body.  At some point we must look at the bottom line and understand that this type of activity can ruin student recruiting.  It can cause damage to the University’s reputation that could take much time to repair.  I believe you owe it to our students to take strong corrective action.  You owe it to the alumni who support you, the school and you owe it to yourselves.” 
   To her credit Dr. Mahoney responded to my letter immediately.  Dr. Mahoney replied, “I appreciate your bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have asked Police Chief Bill Nelson to contact you.  You should hear from him in the near future.  Please be assured that Lincoln University will investigate your concerns and appropriate action will be taken.” 
 
   That same day I received a phone call from Lincoln University Police Chief Bill Nelson.  He explained that his officers are aware of the situation and working to build their case against the troublemakers.  The key to their success will be students who witnessed the fights to come forward and tell police what they saw.  If LU Students want to make their campus a better place, a safer place, they must take responsibility and help investigators.

     In the year 1866 a group of Missouri soldiers from the 62nd & 65th United States Colored Infantry pooled $6,400 and purchased land on top of a hill in Jefferson City to start a college.  They wanted to educate themselves and future generations.  These brave men had fought with guns, knives and their bare hands for their own freedom.  Now they wanted to fight with their minds for a different kind of liberty and justice that only education can deliver.  Surely what these so-called Buffalo Soldiers had in mind was not to see brothers fighting brothers on their own college campus.  Their goal was for our young people to win the battles against injustice by earning a Bachelor’s degree, a Masters degree and of course a Ph.D. 

     Now is the time for young people on all college campuses to stand up and beat down violence with their minds.  This, my friend, is how we to do it.          


1 comment:

  1. Keep telling that history; read some great military history.

    How do you keep a people down? ‘Never' let them 'know' their history.

    The 7th Cavalry got their butts in a sling again after the Little Big Horn Massacre, fourteen years later, the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. If it wasn't for the 9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers, there would of been a second massacre of the 7th Cavalry. Read the novel, “Rescue at Pine Ridge”, and visit website http://www.rescueatpineridge.com

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep telling that history; read some great military history.

    How do you keep a people down? You 'never' let them 'know' their history.

    The 7th Cavalry got their butts in a sling again after the Little Big Horn Massacre, fourteen years’ later, the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. If it wasn't for the 9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers, there would of been a second massacre of the 7th Cavalry. Read the novel, and visit website, rescue at pine ridge. com

    ReplyDelete